Skip to main content

What's Up Weddings

Honeymoons: Passport, Name Changes, and Other Details

Mar 19, 2012 09:04PM ● By Anonymous

Your Passport: Getting your passport far enough in advance (six to eight weeks) is a travel factor that should not be neglected. If you’re a first-time applicant, you must apply in person. Visit, the website for the U.S. Department of State, for specific guidelines about passports (there are different directions to follow for specific situations). If you’re leaving in less than two weeks for an international trip and still need a passport, you can go to one of 24 regional passport agencies in the U.S. to get your passport. Otherwise, you will submit an application at a local Passport Application Acceptance Facility. If you realize that you’re running out of time before your trip, it is possible to have your passport expedited, though there will be an extra charge for that service. 

Changing Your Name: Your passport and airline ticket must have the same name on them to travel. Therefore, obtain your passport and book your honeymoon tickets under your maiden name. After you return home, you can apply for a name change on your passport for no fee (you can do so up to one year after the passport has been issued.)

Health & Safety: Researching the location of your honeymoon will be very beneficial before you leave, especially when it comes to your health. Each country usually requires different vaccines upon entrance, so have your immunizations updated based on your destination four to six weeks before the trip. Check the website of the Center for Disease Control and Prevention to see how to prepare for your particular destination by researching the country of your choice. Also be conscious of the safety factor—travelers are sometimes taken advantage of in foreign countries, so thoroughly researching your destination before departure is smart.